Defining retailers by their primary brand is a poke in the I. Specifically, the one at the beginning of IBD.

It’s now dawning on most companies as well as dozens of dealers that Interbike’s withering away has been a colossal mistake.

Now that you are living the dream of owning a bike shop, have you stepped back to evaluate whether it got you where you wanted to be?

The top four bike brands are currently represented in 52% of U.S. bike shop locations. But what about the other 48%? Is lack of alignment with The Quadrumvirate a one-way ticket to the poorhouse? Available data suggests not.

Photo by Annie Theby on Unsplash

This week David responds to a retailer's question about payroll and occupancy costs.

Photo by Duncan Kidd on Unsplash

As a retailer you may be feeling like you are fighting a never-ending uphill battle. I still feel that you can make great profits, however grim all the battles appear to be.

As the Bike 3.0 model evolves, the rich are getting (somewhat) richer, the poor are getting (a lot) poorer, and the rest of us worker bees are getting told it's all just Business As Usual. And maybe it is.

After 40 years of bike biz time, I'd like to pass along one key element to those who are steering brands in the modern, digital world.

In Rick Vosper's update to his May 6 editorial, it seems Walmart's Viathon brand has delivered more — and less — than promised.

When jobs, families, careers, houses and even sometimes marriages are on the line, why are we all so resistant to change?

Second in a series of articles by former retailer David DeKeyser.
Photo by Thomas Le on Unsplash

After business profitability, owning your store location, or at least having a transferable lease, makes it easier when it comes time to sell.

For the folks behind the scenes at the PBMA and since day one, we have never said, "we need to fix wages." What we did discuss was a mission, a mission critical to the things we each valued. A mission which, in time, would impact the future.

Photo by Thomas Le on Unsplash

There are many ways to open and run a bike shop, but the list of options to exit the business is finite. First in a series of columns by David DeKeyser.

Last time, I proposed that bike and equipment companies can succeed and grow in a flat market by shifting focus from pushing units to winning — and keeping — customers; and that they can do this by offering a better customer experience, starting at the in-store level. The current installment unpacks that idea in a little more depth, including the question, "how do we pay for all this stuff?"

I hear a lot of feedback about what a professional bicycle mechanic is. Even some mechanics will argue about what makes a mechanic a professional or what qualifies them to become certified.

I think most bike shops think they offer good — even great — customer service. But, when Bicycling magazine publishes a story about bike shops titled, "Hey, Bike Shops: Stop Treating Customers Like Garbage" and then cites its survey that shows 60% of the respondents said they had a "negative experience," maybe it's time to look at your customer service with fresh eyes.

U.S. sales of adult bicycles, all channels.

What will shake up a stagnant bicycle sales market? Retailers dedicated to improving customer service while building brand loyalty.

Even Keener's fancy titanium road bike has a bell.

Talking with my ex-wife last night, this question came up. As healthy Boulder homeowners, we have nothing “real” to complain about. And yet it’s our civic duty to be outraged about something.

Five current and past presidents of the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association say the industry should join PeopleForBikes, which is now merged with BPSA.

Jenny Kallista, co-founder of the Professional Bicycle Mechanic Association and owner of Appalachian Bicycle Institute, says retailers can't make service more profitable if they disregard their own people.


Subscribe to RSS - Opinion/Analysis